Stroke Rehabilitation St. Catharines
At LV Physiotherapy in St. Catharines, we are a community-based private Physiotherapy clinic with experienced Neuro-Physiotherapists providing best practice rehabilitation services for Stroke Recovery within the Niagara region. Our skilled Neurological Physiotherapists thoroughly understand Neurological conditions including Strokes and the rehabilitation required for them. Our Physiotherapists utilize their expertise of neuroplasticity, motor learning and manual facilitation to assist you in achieving functional recovery.
What is a Cerebrovascular Accident (CVA/ Stroke)?
A stroke occurs when blood stops flowing to part of your brain. This causes brain cell damage that cannot be repaired. The effects of your stroke will depend on the area of the brain that was damaged and the severity of that damage.
Over 400,000 Canadians are living with long-term disability from stroke. No one is ever prepared for this sudden and often catastrophic event. Recovery can be a long-term process for some people, ranging from months to years.
What is Neuroplasticity?
The brain is able to make up for functions lost in the damaged areas of the brain by reorganizing and rewiring itself, called “Neuroplasticity.” In order to make changes in your brain, you need to train it repeatedly with specific exercises and activities. Your St. Catharine’s Physiotherapist at LV Physiotherapy can help you with this. Your personal dedication and willingness to work toward improvement will help you to gain the most benefit from rehabilitation.
“Neuroplasticity refers to the lifelong capacity of the brain to change and rewire itself in response to the stimulation of learning and experience.” — Dr. Norman Doidge MD (Author of New York Times Bestseller “The Brain That Changes Itself”)
What does Stroke Rehabilitation Include?
Stroke rehabilitation helps you to recover as many functional abilities as possible following a stroke. It also explores activities to keep life interesting and meaningful. Physiotherapy for a stroke helps people following a CVA to re-learn skills or to complete tasks. Rehabilitation research demonstrates that it is important for Stroke Rehabilitation to be goal-directed, focused and include novel and repetitive practice.
At LV Physiotherapy, a comprehensive assessment is completed prior to initiating your Stroke Rehabilitation Program to determine your individual problems, goals and treatment plan.
Stroke Rehabilitation will include some or all of:
- Gait training: progressing walking by improving quality of gait pattern, endurance or decreased level of assistance required to help you walk.
- Range of Motion or Stretching exercises: your physiotherapist will use hands-on stretching techniques as well as give you the tools to continue stretching at home.
- Functional Electrical Stimulation: to help activate muscles that are atrophied on the
- stroke affected side.
- Muscle strengthening and coordination exercises
- Balance Re-training: from seated balance, standing balance or dynamic balance while walking or completing functional activities
- Management of tone and spasticity
- Pain management
- Endurance Exercise
- Functional Fitness Exercises
- Patient education
- Neuro-Developmental Training (NDT) Techniques
Why choose LV Physiotherapy for your Stroke Rehabilitation?
At LV Physiotherapy in St. Catharines, our Physiotherapists:
What equipment do we have at LV Physiotherapy?
- Wide Neuro-Plinths
- Parallel Bars
- Sit-to-stand Trainer
- Recumbent Bike
- Various balance equipment (foam balance beams, bosu ball, etc)
- Hoyer Lift
- Large gym spaces for a variety of exercises